Next Stop, Peru.

photo: mario testino
One of my all time absolute favorite feelings in the world is the one I get when I'm in an international airport terminal. I love walking through by the gates and seeing the different destinations: Copenhagen, Rome, Beirut, Hong Kong, Sao Paolo. If anyone's every spent time at the Continental terminal at Newark Airport, you know exactly what I mean. There's just something so exciting about the possibility of travel to me--that I could slip onto a plane, any plane, and head to a place far, far away. I pretty much spent half my childhood on planes, ferrying back and forth between the States and Hong Kong (where I lived as a kid) and France (as a teenager.)
So you can imagine just how excited I am to go to Peru on Friday! Our dear friend is getting married in Lima, and we decided to build a little spring break trip around it. I am so so so excited--about the food, about learning more about the ancient civilizations centered there, about getting out of the US! We are heading to Cusco, a city at 11,000 feet, and then to the Sacred Valley, the mountains around Macchu Picchu, and finally to Lima. Anyone with great Peru tips out there please share!

4 comments:

chelsea said...

oh how fun! my brother and his girlfriend recently returned from a birding expedition in peru and they said it's beautiful. have so much fun!!

Sarah O said...

Ohmigoodness! My best friend's cousin is getting married in Lima next week. I wonder if it's the same wedding :) He invited me to go with him but I couldn't get the time off! Have a great time.

Honora said...

Sarah! How funny! My friend, Ines (who is getting married does) live in Denver.

Sarah O said...

Haha, definitely the same wedding! What a small world! Well, you'll have to say hello to my friend Drew for me :) Can't wait to see some photos!