Donna Hay

When I was in high school, my mother taught me how to cook. My very first cook book was Donna Hay's The New Cook, and it is full of recipes I still use frequently. The pictures and styling are beyond gorgeous, and the recipes are really, really good! I've just ordered her New Food Fast. Can't wait to try it out! In the meantime, here's one of my favorite recipes, which is great for when the weather gets warmer. It's easy and fast, too:
Rare Beef and Cellophane Noodle Salad serves 4
1 lb thick rump steak 6 1/2 oz. cellophane noodles 1 mango, peeled 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves (regular basil works, too) 1/2 cup mint leaves 1/3 cup cilantro Dressing: 4 Tbs lime juice 3 Tbs Soy Sauce 2 Tbs brown sugar 1 green chilli, seeded and chopped
Heat grill or frypan on high heat for 2 mintues. Place steak in pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until juices are sealed in and meat is cooked medium rare. Set aside. Place noodles in boiling water and allow to stand for 5 minutes before draining. Chop mango finely and combine with noodles, basil, mint, and cilantro. To make dressing, place lime juice, soy sauce, sugar and chilli in a bowl and mix to combine. Slice steak thinly, and toss with noodle mixture and dressing. {photo by Con Poulos for Donna Hay}

1 comment:

alli b said...

I mean REALLY, were we separated at birth?? I just pulled out a Donna Hay clipping from her amazing magazine last night and drooled.
ps. started reading the book on Thursday and I LOVE it! Thank you!