For those of you who don't know, the school I go to has an MFA program in Book Arts.  Even though I'm getting my MFA in writing, I'm still allowed to take these fabulous Book Arts classes, which I have to say is probably the biggest perk to my program.

This semester in my bookbinding class, we focused on traditional structures, as opposed to the contemporary structures that I made last year.  This is a coptic binding, which is one of the oldest ways to bind books in the world!  It originates from Egypt, and there are many variations of it.  This is probably the simplest one, but if you look closely, you can see the braids in the binding. 

I also made a clamshell box to house the book, mostly just for fun because I love making boxes.  It's all about the precision, and my closet perfectionist just adores being let out of the house from time to time.

Next Up: Long Stitch Binding

No comments: